Wednesday, March 28, 2012

While putting sun block on Andrew this morning before we started playing outside; the smell took me back to a special time last year. To sun, sand, a looooong 12 hour drive with 2 toddlers, family and fun. Even though our budget had been tight, I made it a point to save for a special trip to Florida-along with my parents and Grandpa- to see my brother, his wife and my niece for Easter. I wanted time away before having another baby added to my chaos and I wanted to make special memories for Daniel and Jacob.
***
I think I came out with the best memories of all.
***
Daniel and Jacob were not fans of the ocean. I can't say I blamed them. It was loud and rough. But the smell of the salty sea air was so intoxicating and I wanted them to enjoy something I love so much. There is just something so awing about looking out into the ocean and thinking that it goes on like that for forever. Even in the rough, tumbling waters, there is still something so peaceful in something so beautiful. Instead, those boys taught me about patience and sand could be just as fun. They woke us up at the crack of dawn every morning but it didn't matter. (Funny how time is irrelevant when you're on vacation) We got to eat breakfast on the deck facing the beach and then find fun new spots to swing and dig. (Funny how we can be so close to the beach and end up playing at a park :) We got to plan our Easter hunting together with cousins and spent some special time with Rayna. I spent some quality time with my parents and my mom and I pushed the boys and Sophia around looking at Florida real estate. We even met a special friend, crabby, that camped out under the car. It was crazy to watch that thing move. Daniel was scared and intrigued and left Florida with a special stuffed crab.

But, the most special memory of all-and the most sad-was that this would be the last time that our far off family would see Daniel. God works in such special ways. We may not-or ever-understand His timing or His reasoning, but to look back and see how effortlessly the pieces fell to make that trip; it makes me so thankful for His love. The timing of the trip, the way the money came together, the fact Rayna got to see her boys and Sophia got to spend some time with Daniel; it makes that trip one of my most treasured.
And, in looking back, especially at a time when I need encouragement that all things work together for those that believe in Him, our Florida Easter trip is tangible proof that He will work it out in His own way and His own time. I just need to have the faith that it will.


"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so my ways are higher than your ways
and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8-9









3 comments:

  1. So thankful for that trip! :) So many great memories to last in my heart until we meet again. Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post.....thanks for sharing.
    God is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought of that! What a blessing :-) Some wonderful memories were made during that trip!! God works everything together for good, even when we don't notice... Love you friend

    ReplyDelete