Thursday, May 15, 2014

Jake is 5



It doesn't seem like I should be writing how you're turning 5.
Jake, this has been my favorite year yet.  You are becoming such a little boy. While I thought I would miss the baby phase, this season in your life is so much fun. I am so proud of the little boy you are becoming. 
You have such little boy feet and hands. When we hold hands now, I cannot believe the strength the emanates from them.  They are so substantial now. And you have little muscles. Long gone is the chubbiness of being a toddler. Your angles are becoming sharper and you're getting more gangly. 
You have so many more words now and the conversations we can carry on still surprise me. Speaking of words, oh my goodness, how you love to learn. It's often I can pick you up from daycare and you're sitting and practicing writing. The teachers comment often how well your handwriting is; and it is really good. You can recognize so many words and read so much and that is probably one of my favorite milestones for you. Hearing your read words back to me when we have book time is amazing. You're really good at sounding them out, too. When we tested your for kindergarten (once I could pull you away from my side) you amazed the teachers with your counting, reading, reciting, and sounding out. And writing not just your first name, but your middle and last. To me that seemed normal, but I guess some cannot still. Your little mind is a sponge. Numbers are a favorite, too. You will ask to do work sheets with addition and use your resources to figure out the number. We will also work on it in the car and any chance we can do addition and subtraction, I take it. I want to sharpen your mind and since you love to do it anyway, it makes it more fun. You can count into the hundreds now, and probably more, and you were the only kid who could recognize what numbers were missing and what came next in class. You got a gift out of the treasure box for that. 
You are starting to become a leader and will direct play. You also like to boss around your brother and exert your big brother status. But, you can also be very timid. The rooster scares you and I must walk with you when we pass along his way. Your brother can take you on, but you're working on sticking up for yourself. Your feelings can get hurt easily and if something isn't done perfect the first time, you get discouraged. I just pray these characteristics special to you will grow for something great and never hinder you.
You are showing more of an interest in sports and like to throw a football and hit off a tee. Catching still is difficult for you. You also started taekwondo this year. For the most part you enjoy it. You can get distracted and misbehave in class, but usually because you're tired. Right now you will test for yellow first. While I know you probably won't go on to be some awesome fighter, it's fun to watch you learn and show your skills. You're getting much better at jumping jacks :)
We are starting to talk more about God and Jesus and what it means to have Him in your heart. I never want to pressure you into making such a big decision in allowing Him into your heart, but each time we talk you seem to understand more of what that means.  I cannot wait for the day you make the decision; and I definitely want it on your time. You are still so much a little child in the way you can think, but some of the things you say and understand are much bigger then your years.
This next year will bring about many changes for you. You start Kindergarden, will make new friends and come home with so much more knowledge,  and add a little sister, but I know you will adjust just fine. You love life and love abundantly and I am so thankful for you. 

Jake's 5 year interview

What is your favorite number?  
5
Who are your friends? 
Zachary, Drew, Varun, Sean, Alex, Ethan and Noah (he was correcting me on spelling :)
What is your favorite toy? 
 Megaforce phone
What is your favorite food?  
Chicken, cheese and corn on the bone
What is your favorite color?
Red and blue and black
What is your favorite thing to play outside? 
Power Rangers and playing with my super megaforce phone
What is your favorite car? 
Mustang
What is your favorite book? 
Lightening McQueen
What is your favorite animal? 
Dinosaurs-T rex and Spinosaurus
What do you want to do when you grow up? 
Police man
What is your favorite thing to do at school? 
Do work (I love work)
Who are your favorite teachers? 
Ms Chris and Ms Lauren and Ms Monica








No comments:

Post a Comment